Assistant Controller Job Description
Statement of the Position:
National Seating & Mobility is North America’s most experienced provider of complex rehabilitation seating, mobility and positioning systems. We serve our nation’s most medically fragile population. For our employees, it is an honor to serve these clients and this is more than just a job. It is a calling that goes beyond being a preferred provider of mobility solutions. It is how our employees touch lives with a genuine compassion that begins deep within our hearts and is carried throughout everything we do.
We are a nationwide company, located in 130 cities. Our financial services office is in Chattanooga, with more than 230 dedicated employees serving our field organization. We are seeking a high potential individual to join our finance team, who can develop into the Controller positions. If you are passionate about making a difference, and seeking a role in a growing company where you can grow and develop, please apply!
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required
- CPA required
- Mix of Public and Corporate experience preferred
- 4 – 6 years of relevant experience including thorough working knowledge of GAAP and other applicable requirements and practices
- High proficiency in excel
- Proven experience as assistant controller or controller at small to medium sized company
- Manage the responsibilities of the Accounting team to drive for timeliness and accuracy in monthly reporting packages as well as month-end and annual closing activities
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statement reporting packages
- Oversee general ledger transactions to ensure both proper accounting treatment and adherence to internal policies
- Research accounting issues for compliance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Improve and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Leadership participation and influence with the upcoming accounting system transition as well as the implementation of new standard operating procedures surrounding the new system
- Prepare opening balance sheets and adequate support for acquisitions and integrate acquisitions into the centralized accounting and finance processes
- Leadership and development of general Accounting team to include hiring, performance management and training
- Serve as a liaison for the external auditors and tax teams
- Assist with the consolidation of the annual inventory counts and collaborates with the operations team in understanding inventory count variances
- Analyze current process and create improvements within the Accounting function
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. She/he will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his/her supervisor.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare meaningful financial reports and statements
- Willingness to build strong accounting team, with emphasis on cross-training and healthy group dynamics
- Must have exceptional organizational skills and a high attention to detail.
- Strong research skills to figure out answers to questions you don’t already know
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, problem solve and make reasonable decisions based on company policies and practices
- Able to troubleshoot and solve problems proactively and independently.
- Must be highly adaptable and flexible to ever-changing demands and priorities in a very fast paced environment.
- Flexible and able to excel in a fast-paced environment